Well I am hear to tell you that yes you can do it and its not that hard! the problem is in the format you have to follow. I have published and sold books on Amazon and LuLu anything from my horror "Malevolent" to a my latest Zombie thriller "Undead Me". There are a few things you have to do first.
- Find a great cover designer or free images you can use
- Find or learn how to generate the cover yourself dont use the standards they supply
- You need to stand out in the crowd
- Find a niche you can use. (I love Horror so its easy for me)
- Make a splash with your first chapter even the first paragraph needs to capture the readers immagination.
- Be descriptive and find the right headings title.
- Ask people (like me) for help dont be shy its only a few who will not want to assist you.
- Publish in eBook and physical old school paper print. (LuLu, wordclay, etc)
- Ensure you have between 50,000 and 60,000 words no real publisher will look at anything less than 60,000 words believe me!
- Have a tag, a character, theme or group. The Goonies was a fantastic story! why because it had such a diverse array of characters and interplay with them all. IT by Stephen King one of my all time favourites has Pennywise the reason allot of adults cant stand clowns today!
- download templates
- join sites like Booksie or Bookrix to let others tell you if its any good or not!
- take crits well and move on.
- be polite when dealing with published authors they love that.
- most of all have fun and write whats in your heart and mind.